Major Gift Officer (Part time)
The Jefferson School African American Heritage Center (JSAAHC) seeks a half-time major gifts officer. This position reports to the Executive Director and is staff to the board’s development committee.
The Major Gifts Officer is responsible for planning, coordinating, and implementing the individual major donor program to meet the organization’s major gifts fundraising goal and build the individual donor base. The main goal of his position is to secure funds over $5,000 for the organization by managing a group of assigned, qualified donors assuring that as many as possible are retained as continuing donors to the organization and are upgraded in their giving and involvement. This position is key to ensuring JSAAHC remains an African American cultural and heritage center leading discussions of race locally, regionally and nationally.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The qualified candidate must demonstrate the ability to :
- Create reasonable financial goals for each donor based on their present, and potential giving.
- Create a personal contact and ask plan that takes into account the individual donor’s interest, motivations, giving patterns and ask preferences, in a timely and cost-effective manner.
- Create plan to upgrade donors
- Manage people, process, deadlines and budget while adhering to the policies and procedures of the organization.
- Get long with peeps, subordinates and management and maintain a positive and constructive attitude while solving problems.
- Protect the organization’s mission, goals, and values.
- Bachelor’s Degree,
- More than two years of successful experience in major or planned gift fundraising
- Ability to understand the needs and interests of leadership and major gift donors in order to develop relationships between them and the JSAAHC
- Knowledge of American history and more than a working knowledge of African American history post-emancipation
- Demonstrated leadership and the ability to successfully manage multi-functional or diverse areas.
- Successful experience in making cold calls as well as developing cultivation and solicitation strategies.
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills and a demonstrated record of completing assignments.
- Must be willing to travel.
Located in the Jefferson School City Center, The Jefferson School African American Heritage Center’s mission is to honor and preserve the rich heritage and legacy of the African-American community of Charlottesville-Albemarle, Virginia and to promote a greater appreciation for, and understanding of, the contributions of African Americans and peoples of the Diaspora locally, nationally and globally.
Send cover letter, resume, writing sample and 3 references to email@example.com